Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Homemade Watercolor Palette



How to make a Homemade Watercolor Palette that is Great for Traveling

I wanted a really small watercolor palette that I could take anywhere.  Many of the traveling watercolor palette can be costly and bulky.  Plus, I also had some extra half pans so I seen no need to buy a whole new palette.  I looked on YouTube to see what other watercolor artist were using to make travel palette.  Most of them used some kind of tin so I thought I would try the same.  I started off with a small mint tin I liked, seen below.
I did not want to glue the half pans of watercolor to the tin.  So I decided to use a magnetic strip.  This works great because it allows the pans to be changed out for other colors.  Plus, if I decide I don't like the tin I could change it out of a different one without having to use new watercolor pans.
Above you can see the magnetic strip.  To apply it to the half pans I just cut it into smaller pieces.  The white back then peels off to reveal a sticky side.  Which I stuck to the bottom of the half pans, seen below.
Below you can see the half pans of watercolor placed in the tin.  This tin will only hold 6 half pans.
The tin seen below is a little bigger and would maybe hold 12 half pan.  I really liked the shape and color of this tin.  But both tins easily fit into a purse or pocket.  Making these a great homemade watercolor palette for travel or to have on the go.  I like to take mine outside to sit an paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment